HomeShop by BrandsVictorinox Swiss Army Knife
1884 - After working as a journeyman in Paris and in the southern German town of Tuttlingen, Karl Elsener opens his own cutler’s business in Ibach-Schwyz. The energy for running the grinding and polishing machines is supplied by a waterwheel driven by the Tobelbach stream.
1891 -The Swiss Army is supplied with soldiers' knives for the first time.
1897 - On June 12, the Swiss Officer's and Sports Knife is patented.
1909 - In order to distinguish it from copies, the company founder decides to use the cross and shield, the current Victorinox emblem, on all pocket knives from then on.
1909 - Following the death of his mother, the company founder chooses her first name Victoria as the name of the company.
1921 - Stainless steel is invented (also known as ‘inox’ for short). By combining inox with Victoria, the new brand Victorinox is created.
1931 - The company Brown Boveri sets up the world’s first all-electric hardening plant for Victorinox.
1945 - After the Second World War, the PX stores of the U.S. Army, Marines and Air Force sell large numbers of the ‘Swiss Officer’s Knife’ to their officers and soldiers. The Americans call it ‘Swiss Army Knife’ for short. This term is adopted in all English-speaking countries.
1969 - Some of the household and professional knives are manufactured in a new 5-story building.
1980 -The largest expansion to date sees an increase in manufacturing, office and storage space from 11,000 to 27,000 m². A staff of 730 generates sales in excess of 65 million Swiss francs.
1989 - The Swiss Army Watches are launched on the U.S. market with great success.
1992 - The first Victorinox sales branch is founded in Japan. In subsequent years, other subsidiaries are opened in Mexico, Brazil, Poland, Hong Kong/China, Vietnam and Chile.